Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Mousse cakes overloaded!

raspberry silk copy


Perhaps one of the unspoken perks of attending a pastry school is the amount of pastries we get to bring home almost on a daily basis.

Last week, I brought home 3 cakes. The nougat mousse cake, in which the photos were poorly lit; a chocolate hazelnut mousse cake and a coconut passion cake, which I need to retake the pictures before telling you more about it.

011 copy


The prettiest of the bunch, in my humble opinion, is the Raspberry Silk Cake. Made with almond dacquiose, raspberry gelee, royaltine layer and white chocolate diplomat mousse, the flavor took me by surprise and little did I expect that I would fall in love with this cake. When I first saw white chocolate in the mousse recipe, I thought I wouldn't like it. I never like white chocolate; in fact,I have been shunning away from white chocolate in all my baked goods. It just taste too milky for my liking! But when all the elements in this cake come together, it tastes great. The flavor of the raspberry gelee and the royaltine layer take over the center stage and the white chocolate mousse plays a good supporting role. It provides the creaminess and smooth mouthfeel that completes the final product.

Looking at the raspberry silk cake makes me very happy, perhaps it's the constrasting color. We eat with our eyes first, no? :)

004 copy

The Chocolate Hazelnut Cake is love at first sight. The kind of cake I know I would love even before I tasted it. Eating the final product only confirm my assumption. It is nice, but a little too predictable. Having said that, it is probably the cake that I have eaten the biggest portion. See, I am pretty predictable too!

010 copy


For those who wonder what I do with the cakes: I give away most of my share to my classmates! And only this morning, while I juggled the raspberry silk cake and a cup as support on one hand and my camera on the other to take pictures outdoor; the maintenance guys came. I offered them the nougat mousse cake in the freezer and they walked away pretty happy. I love to see people happy, which in turn make my day!

28 comments:

Lisa said...

They look so yummy! And I agree with you on the white chocolate!

The Food Librarian said...

These look soooo wonderful!!

Anonymous said...

Those cakes all look divine. I wish I could execute those kinds of decorations like you have. This is why I need to go to pastry school :) And coming home with oodles of cakes would make me and others so happy! I'd take it to town on that chocolate hazelnut cake.

Geraldine said...

oh man... u need to come stay next to me!!

wait a minute, i'm trying to lose weight... ah... maybe its better i just drool over the photos.

Patsyk said...

Those cakes look stunning! I'm kind of happy I can't gain weight by looking at you creations.

Anonymous said...

Oh goodness, you wouldn't care to give some cakes away over here in England would you? They look soooo pretty. Loving the tales of your pastry lessons, I don't think I'd have the patience not to just eat all the ingredients as they were ready and before the assembly!

Jennywenny said...

Very pretty! I just found out I got on the cake class at college, so I'll be hoping to post about my exploits too, although I cant imagine they will be quite as wonderful as those!!

Darla said...

Thanks for sharing pictures of the yummy things you make--makes me want to go to pastry school!!

Clumbsy Cookie said...

I studied for 3 years in a pastry school and I never briught home baked good so you're a lucky girl! I know I would love both cakes and you must be having a blast making them for sure!

ChristinaBakes said...

Yummy & gorgeous! Can I be your friend while you are here in Chicago! :)

Snooky doodle said...

I would be happy too if you gave me a nice slice of your gorgeous anf yummiest cakes :) colours are wonderful!

Manggy said...

OmiGOSH Mandy, those are spectacular! I miss baking :( I can't believe you were surprised to love the raspberry cake at all-- it looks divine from here! What's a royaltine layer, though?

Y said...

Oh yum! If i lived closer, you'd save one for me, right? Right? ;)

ring-a-ding-a-ling said...

thats' it babe! I am looking out for air ticket to Chic-town to visit you hehehe!!

Melisa said...

By the looks of these cakes, you're really enjoying yourself! Please keep sharing your amazing creations.

Anonymous said...

This looks delicious. I may have to attempt a condensed version sometime soon.

Anonymous said...

Both cakes look great...but especially the chocolate hazelnut!

Bunny said...

These are beautiful cakes, you are sooooo lucky to beable to bake them!

Hayley said...

Those cakes look delicious and absolutely beautiful! Great work!

Pam said...

They look delicious and pretty. My kids love mousse cake.

Anonymous said...

oh my!! i'm definitely drooling over the chocolate hazelnut cake!! :) hmm hmm yum! i'm about to log off and go to bed..may the cake will appear in my dream! hehe :D
happy year of the ox to you and your family, too! :)

Deeba PAB said...

You make us happy too...very happy!!

Anonymous said...

The chocolate hazelnut cake looks enticing! Your classmates are so lucky :)

And it's probably a lil late, but Gong Xi Fa Cai! :)

Plowlady said...

hi there, do you have a recipe for the chocolate one? there's three layers in it that I am in need of and I wanted to know if you have it, could you email it to me?

mariannakeough at hotmail.com

hope that you can help, Thanks!

Charlene said...

I would love the recipes as well if you are allowed to share, please post if so. What beautiful cakes…the raspberry would be great for Valentines...

Food For Tots said...

You are such a kind person! I always get "scolding" from my hubby when I gave away my baking and left the last piece for him. Lovely shots. ;)

Lisa Choo said...

I havd followed your blog and noticed you are getting better and better! they look absolutely delicious! Would you mind sharing the recipe Mandy?

Unknown said...

Both cakes look yummy. I was wondering if you could share the chocolate hazelnut cake recipe. My son's birthday is in 2 weeks and he would love this cake.

Related Posts with Thumbnails