Tuesday, June 19, 2007

A Berry Good Morning!


I was awakened early by OCT today on his way out to work and couldn't get back to sleep after that. Eventhough it's early in the day, I found myself sweating. It was the heat from the merciless sun this time of the year! Eventhough I could turn on the air-conditioner and cool myself down, I opted for some fresh morning air. Which comes with the warm wind unfortunately.

I remember when I was a kid, I used to go to the refrigerator and opened the fridge wide open to let the cold air blow on me. Until my mum found me and reprimanded my silly act. While I was older and tall enough to open the freezer, I pretend to find something from the freezer whenever the weather got unbearably hot.

Today's weather reminds me of my little game with the refrigerator. Instead of trying to "look for something" from the freezer, I reached out for the tub of ice cream. I almost wanted to eat ice cream for breakfast!!! Well, I know I am capable of doing that eventhough I haven't done so..Luckily, I was saved by the frozen raspberries and mango that were tucked behind the ice cream. For they screamed "choose me, eat me!" So loud that I had to cover my ears with both hands and let the ice cream idea dropped to the floor.

You know how people tell you that "life is about making choices and you are what you eat?" I couldn't agree more. And for today, I am proud that I made a conscious, healthy choice to start my day. I made myself a cup of berries smoothies. Not only has it cooled me down, it has also packed with lots of "good for me", anti-oxidant rich ingredients. I must also add that the purplish pink hue of the smoothies is really pleasing to the eye. I am submitting this smoothies to Sweetnick's ARF/5-A-Day Tuesday. Check out her blog later for more ARF ideas!


Berries Smoothies

A handful of frozen raspberries and mango
A few ice cubes
A few hulled, sliced strawberries
6 oz non-fat plain yogurt
A dash of orange juice
1 ripe banana

Blend everything together in the blender and pour into a cup. Enjoy!

I usually just put whatever berries I can find into the smoothies, but banana is always included for sweetness.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Berry nice and berry ARF :)
Just last week, I layer my berries, cherries and fruits in a yogurt, just like a parfait and eat them to chase away the heat.

Unknown said...

Sounds and looks great! I love this time of year b/c of the berries! I'm going to have to do this some weekend!

Anh said...

This is surely a very healthy breakfast! I love it!

Deborah said...

I love smoothies for breakfast. Now if only I could get up early enough to have the time to make one, it would be even better!!

Mandy said...

tigerfish,

The parfait sounds like a good idea!I shall try this one day.

Claire,
Me too! Love summer for the berries. Eat more while it lasts!

anh,
Thanks!

deborah,
I know what you mean ;)I won't trade anything for another minute more of sleep.

SteamyKitchen said...

I used to do the same refrigerator thing!!! Mom hated it. When it got cold in the winter - I used to read books right in front of the oven.

Mandy said...

Jaden,

I do the same thing in winter too!

Lee Ping said...

Different recipe ideas for a big box of strawberries.

Related Posts with Thumbnails