Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Espresso Walnut Cake



As I have mentioned in my previous entry, I am not too satisfied with the outcome of the Espresso Cupcake. It left me a hollow space in my chest waiting to be filled, and make me really want to bake something smells and tastes coffee....And also because I have bought 2 bottles of espresso powder on a whim not long ago. The powder which I think is only good for baking, but not for drinking (at least not for me). For these reasons, I am in search of recipes to bake some caffeine goods. It doesn't take me too long to find one on the Cookinglight.com.

I glance through the ingredients and notice that it only called for 5 tablespoon of butter, and a fraction of sugar that other coffee cakes required and used non fat yoghurt to moisten the cake. Seems like a healthy snack cake to me! And the cake comes together in a snap. I don't even have to use my mixer.

Because I made it on Sunday night before bed, I only got to taste it on Monday morning. It was ok. It has enough sweetness from the brown sugar, and moistness from the sour cream that I subbed for the yoghurt. And the crunch from walnut pieces. However, I couldn't detect a hint of espresso in the cake, which I am frankly quite disappointed. Maybe a tablespoon of espresso powder really doesn't give the coffee addict in me much kick. In fact, I think it should simply be called a coffee cake instead of emphasize it as a ESPRESSO Walnut cake.

Maybe it is a good introduction to people who do not drink coffee/espresso at all.

Espresso Walnut Cake

Cooking spray
2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
3 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon instant espresso or 2 tablespoons instant coffee granules, divided
5 tablespoons butter
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2/3 cup plain fat-free yogurt (i used sour cream)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour

Preheat oven to 350°.
Coat an 8-inch square baking pan with cooking spray, and dust with 2 teaspoons flour.

Combine brown sugar, walnuts, cinnamon, and 1 teaspoon espresso granules in a small bowl.

Place the butter in a large microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave at high for 1 minute or until butter melts. Add granulated sugar, stirring with a whisk. Add eggs; stir well. Stir in yogurt, vanilla, baking soda, and salt. Lightly spoon 1 1/3 cups flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Add flour and 2 teaspoons espresso powder, stirring just until blended (do not overstir).

Spread half of the batter into the prepared pan, and sprinkle with half of the brown sugar mixture. Carefully spread remaining batter over brown sugar mixture, and sprinkle with remaining brown sugar mixture.

Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack. Cut into squares.

Yield: 9 servings (serving size: 1 cake square)

1 comment:

Raven said...

Wow! I just made it and I love it although it took forever to bake. I think it took an hour? I lost count after 40min. This recipe is a little sweet fresh from the oven and Im hoping that it mellows out overnight. All and all, pretty good!
Thanks for sharing!

Related Posts with Thumbnails